Tuesday, March 22, 2011

Man's Best Friend

I've seen a lot of things placed by graves in remembrance of loved ones. Most often this takes the form of urns, flowers, wreaths, and flags.

Occasionally, someone will leave a memento near the headstone. This last summer I saw balloons blowing in the breeze above a child's grave and a single gray leather glove left on the grave of a woman who died in her 40s. 

Today, while poking about in Spring Lake Cemetery, I found this friendly face. I would love to know how long this old dog has been guarding his master's grave and whether the old pup is even with us anymore. I love the fact that this man and his dog remain connected, and that an unsuspecting visitor can stumble across this vignette and know how much they loved each other.    

No comments:

Post a Comment